Eating well can be both tasty and interesting, as this Apple Pie with Roses recipe demonstrates. If you want to stick to a healthy eating plan as part of your nutrition in rehab plan, you’ll want to include a variety of colors, tastes and textures as part of your diet. Try this recipe if you want something that looks beautiful to serve for dessert after a meal or when you are having guests over for coffee and fellowship.
Apple Pie With Roses
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and gather the following ingredients together.
For the dough:
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 pkg. vanilla sugar (or substitute 1 tsp vanilla extract plus one tsp white sugar)
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 cup finely ground almonds
1 1/4 cups flour
*For the cream:
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup white wine
3 egg yolks
1 pkg vanilla sugar (or substitute 1 tsp vanilla extract plus one tsp white sugar)
1 tsp grated orange peel
6 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp flour
(*Optionally, you can use instant vanilla cream or pudding instead)
- Beat soft butter with powdered sugar, vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract/white sugar) and orange peel. Add the egg and ground almonds. Add flour gradually to make a soft dough.
- Dust a 8.5/9.5 inch greased baking pan with flour. Spread out the dough evenly in it. Place baking pan in refrigerator while preparing the cream.
- In a sauce pan mix the flour with vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract and white sugar) and orange peel. Add egg yolks and a little milk. Stir mixture until smooth. Pour in the remaining milk and the white wine. Bring the cream slowly to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened, then let it cool.
- With a vegetable peeler, cut the apples in long strips without removing the peel.
- Wind the strips of apple peels into apple roses.
- Pour the cream on top of the dough and arrange the apple florets close to each other in the pan.
- Warm the apricot jam slightly by placing it in a hot water bath or heating a small amount in the microwave. Glaze the roses by slightly brushing them with it. Bake the cake in preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the dough is baked and apples are
- Let fully cool. Enjoy!
Holistic And Customized Treatment Programs
If you are concerned that someone you love may have less than healthy eating habits and is living with an addiction, Summit Behavioral Health offers customized treatment programs with a holistic approach. Contact us now to learn more!
Try out our other delicious and healthy recipes on our Pinterest Board!