Cigna extends a variety of insurance plans tailored for individuals, families, and groups in New England. These plans may include provisions for covering costs related to drug addiction, alcoholism, and mental health rehabilitation, contingent on specific eligibility criteria. This page will guide you in accessing essential rehabilitation services and resources available in the New England region.
Addiction and Mental Health Statistics in New England
New England states see a significant portion of overdose deaths linked to pharmaceutical opioids. This region consistently ranks among the nation’s worst for drug abuse problems. On a more positive note, New Hampshire takes the lead among New England states in providing comprehensive mental health coverage for children, with only 2% lacking private insurance for mental or emotional issues.
Vermont stands out for its high percentage of heavy drinkers at 8.28%, yet it surprisingly ranks relatively low in DUI incidents. This state also records the nation’s highest prevalence of underage binge drinking. In Massachusetts, despite a rise in opioid use and overdoses among women, there’s a concerning decline in the number of women seeking addiction treatment. It’s a complex landscape, highlighting progress and challenges in New England’s healthcare and substance abuse landscapes.
Exploring New England and its Regional States
New England is renowned for its picturesque landscapes, rich history, and charming cities. Comprising six states, it’s a compact region with diverse geography. Maine, the northernmost state, boasts rugged coastlines and pristine wilderness, while New Hampshire, to the south, boasts The White Mountains, a haven for outdoor enthusiasts.
Vermont, known for its rolling green hills and maple syrup, is a haven for outdoor lovers and is home to Burlington, a city that combines a progressive atmosphere with stunning Lake Champlain views. Massachusetts, with its bustling capital city, Boston, is a state steeped in history, while Rhode Island’s coastline offers beautiful beaches. Connecticut provides a blend of urban centers like Hartford and the quaint charm of towns like Mystic. Each New England state contributes to the region’s unique identity, making it a delightful destination for exploration.
Who is Cigna?
Cigna, a prominent global health service company, has been vital in the insurance and healthcare industry for over two centuries. Its origins trace back to 1792, when it was established as the Insurance Company of North America (INA), making it one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States.¹
The merger of the Connecticut General Life Insurance Company and INA in 1982 resulted in Cigna today.² Over the years, Cigna evolved to provide a broad spectrum of healthcare solutions, including medical, dental, and behavioral health coverage, catering to the needs of individuals, employers, and healthcare professionals.³
The company is dedicated to promoting overall well-being and ensuring access to quality healthcare services for its clients. It has become known for its commitment to innovation and customer-focused healthcare solutions. Furthermore, Cigna demonstrates a strong commitment to corporate social responsibility and sustainability, aiming to reach carbon neutrality by 2040 while actively engaging in sustainability efforts, including waste reduction, renewable energy investments, and sustainable sourcing practices.4
Some of Cigna Brands and Services in New England
Cigna offers a wide range of brands, products, and services to enhance overall well-being and deliver comprehensive healthcare solutions to individuals and organizations in the New England region. Below is a brief overview of some of Cigna’s offerings in New England:
- Cigna Health Insurance offers individuals and families comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Cigna Global Health Benefits offers customized health insurance and services for expats, global employees, and international organizations.
- After acquiring Express Scripts, Cigna offers integrated medical and pharmacy benefits for seamless customer access.5
- Cigna offers a variety of Medicare Plans, including Advantage and Supplement plans, that provide comprehensive coverage, including prescription drugs, dental, and vision care, for seniors to receive high-quality healthcare.
- Cigna Behavioral Health offers various behavioral health services, including employee assistance programs (EAPs), counseling, and substance abuse treatment.6
- Cigna offers employee Well-being Programs that promote healthier lifestyles through fitness and wellness initiatives.
- Cigna Healthy Rewards rewards healthy choices and lifestyle changes.7
- Cigna Stop Loss Insurance provides financial protection for self-insured employers against high claims.
- Cigna Onsite Health Solutions partners with employers to offer convenient onsite healthcare and wellness services, enhancing accessibility to healthcare.
- Cigna Pharmacy Management provides pharmacy benefit management services that effectively control costs and enhance healthcare experience.
- Cigna Telehealth Services offers modern, remote medical consultations for members.
What is Cigna Rehab Coverage?
Cigna’s rehab coverage includes a range of services to support individuals dealing with substance abuse and mental health issues. These plans typically offer coverage for inpatient and outpatient care, detoxification services, counseling, and relapse prevention services. The extent of coverage can vary depending on several factors, but Cigna is committed to providing access to quality rehabilitation services.
Cigna also offers access to licensed mental health professionals within its network, participation in health and wellness programs, individual and group therapy sessions, medication-assisted treatment (MAT), aftercare, and follow-up support services.
Does Cigna Cover Rehab in New England?
In New England, Cigna typically extends coverage for rehab services related to drug and alcohol addiction.8 Their health insurance plans commonly encompass inpatient care, outpatient care, detoxification, counseling, and therapy. However, the specifics of your coverage may vary based on your plan and individual circumstances, among other factors.
Cigna alcohol rehab and Cigna drug rehab services in New England address substance abuse and addiction while offering vital support involving an extensive network of providers that deliver a wide array of services. These services include personalized treatment plans, medication-assisted treatment (MAT), mental health counseling, dual diagnosis care, and access to aftercare and support groups to prevent relapse.
Cigna also recognizes the significance of telehealth in its holistic approach to patient care, facilitating remote access to treatment and counseling, which is especially valuable when in-person visits are challenging.9
Does Cigna Cover Medical Detox Treatment?
Yes, Cigna typically provides coverage for medical detox treatment as part of its comprehensive healthcare offerings. Medical detox is a crucial step in the treatment of substance abuse and addiction, helping individuals safely manage withdrawal symptoms under medical supervision. Medical detox can be offered on both an inpatient and outpatient basis, depending on the specific plan and individual requirements.
For the most precise details regarding your coverage for medical detoxification treatment in New England, we encourage you to review your policy, reach out to Cigna directly, or contact us. Our commitment is to deliver comprehensive care for addiction, guaranteeing that you or your loved one can access the essential treatments and services required for achieving long-term sobriety and recovery.
Does Cigna Cover Residential Treatment?
Yes, Cigna typically provides coverage for residential treatment as part of its comprehensive healthcare offerings. Residential treatment, often known as inpatient rehab, is a vital component of addiction and mental health recovery, offering individuals a structured, supportive environment to address substance abuse and psychological health challenges.
Cigna’s coverage for residential treatment ensures access to vital care and support for addiction and mental health issues. These programs involve extended stays at treatment facilities, providing intensive therapy, counseling, and medical supervision, which is particularly beneficial for severe or dual-diagnosis cases. Coverage details vary from plan to plan, necessitating a review of the policy and collaboration with in-network healthcare providers for maximum benefits.
Does Cigna Cover Mental Health Therapy Treatment?
Cigna’s health insurance plans usually include mental health therapy and treatment as necessary components because these services are mandated by both the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in the United States as essential benefits of healthcare coverage.10
Cigna’s coverage for mental health therapy treatment is comprehensive, ensuring you can access a wide range of therapeutic services, including counseling and psychotherapy. This support is instrumental in addressing mental health challenges and promoting overall well-being, fostering a path towards emotional and psychological health.11 Check your insurance coverage levels for mental health therapy treatment now.
Other Rehab Treatment Programs Covered by Cigna in New England
Cigna’s coverage for rehab treatment in New England extends beyond residential treatment, encompassing various programs tailored to meet the diverse needs of individuals seeking addiction recovery and mental health support. These programs are integral to Cigna’s comprehensive approach to providing accessible care.
Cigna Coverage for Partial Hospitalization Programs
This program is designed for individuals requiring intensive treatment who can still live at home. It typically involves daily therapy, counseling, and medical monitoring in a structured outpatient setting. Cigna typically covers partial hospitalization programs (PHPs), ensuring individuals receive the necessary support while maintaining their daily routines.
PHPs incorporate diverse therapeutic techniques, including cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational interviewing, group sessions, medication management, and life skills training. These programs may also encompass family support and holistic approaches, like art therapy and yoga. Their main goal is to empower you or a loved one with the essential tools and abilities to successfully transition back to daily life while receiving ongoing support and educational resources.
Cigna Coverage for Intensive Outpatient Program
This program offers a step-down level of care for individuals who have completed residential treatment or require a more flexible option. IOP involves regular therapy and counseling sessions, allowing individuals to continue their daily activities. Cigna’s coverage for IOP provides access to ongoing support for you or your loved one to maintain progress toward recovery.
Cigna Coverage for Acute Treatment Programs
Acute treatment programs are intensive, short-term programs designed to address severe mental health crises and stabilize individuals who may be at risk. These programs provide comprehensive care, including psychiatric assessment, medication management, individual and group therapy, and a structured, supportive environment. These programs offer immediate support during times of acute distress while preventing further deterioration of an individual’s mental health.
Cigna typically provides coverage for acute treatment programs as part of its commitment to ensuring access to critical mental health care services. This coverage allows you or your loved one to receive the necessary intervention during mental health crises, promoting stabilization and recovery. The specifics of coverage may vary depending on your Cigna plan, but the availability of this support is a valuable resource.
Cigna Coverage for Inpatient Rehab
Inpatient rehab, an intensive form of care for addiction and mental health issues, involves residing in a treatment facility with a structured, supportive environment. Cigna typically covers inpatient rehab programs, with specific details varying from plan to plan. Inpatient rehabilitation ensures access to vital resources for effective treatment and recovery.
To obtain precise details regarding your coverage for the above programs, we recommend reviewing your policy, contacting Cigna’s team, or calling (844) 326-4514. Our helpful staff can answer any questions regarding the admissions process, insurance, and more.
Rehab Center in New England That Takes Cigna
We’re dedicated to supporting your journey toward sobriety and overall well-being, guiding you through detox to outpatient care. Our state-of-the-art facility provides a serene, private environment for recovery from drug or alcohol addiction while addressing mental health concerns. We implement cutting-edge clinical methods and evidence-based techniques as essential components of our holistic approach to treatment.
For more information or to begin your recovery journey, please don’t hesitate to call and visit our accredited treatment facility, where we accept insurance to make your path to healing as accessible as possible:
How Much is Rehab with Cigna Insurance in New England?
Expenses for rehabilitation programs vary based on factors such as treatment type, location, and insurance. Without insurance, individual psychotherapy sessions can cost between $100 to $200 per hour on average,12 while the average cost for a single patient in three months of outpatient rehab is $5,000.13
We highly recommend reviewing your insurance policy or contacting (844) 326-4514 to understand your Cigna coverage for rehab in New England. We can answer questions and guide you in accessing appropriate care.
How To Check Cigna Coverage Levels for Rehab Treatment
If you want to determine the extent of your insurance coverage for rehabilitation treatment, you can quickly fill out our online form below. Our team of experts will contact your insurance provider to confirm your eligibility and benefits. Once we have verified your policy, we will walk you through all the details, including exclusions, limitations, deductibles, and more.
It is important to fully comprehend your insurance policy and locate rehab centers that take Cigna. To do this, we encourage you to take the initiative and call (844) 326-4514. Determining your Cigna rehab coverage is essential to ensure you receive the appropriate care. You can begin this process by visiting our verification page below:
How To Get Cigna to Pay for Rehab Treatment
Getting Cigna to pay for rehab treatment involves several steps. First, thoroughly review your insurance policy to understand the specific details of your coverage. This includes verifying whether rehab treatment, be it for substance abuse or mental health, is included in your plan, what types of programs are covered, the extent of coverage, deductibles, co-pays, and annual limits.
Next, contact Cigna directly to clarify any questions about your coverage. You can also call our team. We can provide you with up-to-date information on your benefits. Utilizing rehab centers that take Cigna can lead to more favorable coverage terms. Additionally, obtaining the necessary documentation and approvals from your healthcare provider is essential, as insurance companies may require specific forms or assessments to confirm the medical necessity of rehab treatment.
By following these steps and working closely with Cigna, you can effectively navigate the process to maximize your insurance coverage for rehab treatment in New England.
How Many Times Will Cigna New England Pay for Rehab?
The frequency of Cigna’s coverage for rehab in New England depends on various factors, including your policy, the required treatment, and medical necessity. Like many healthcare providers, Cigna typically provides coverage for rehabilitation services when deemed medically necessary.14 Different rehabilitation types and services may have specific criteria, limitations, and exclusions.
To understand your coverage and related expenses comprehensively, it’s essential to thoroughly examine your policy and speak with your healthcare and insurance providers. For additional information regarding the extent and frequency of Cigna’s rehabilitation coverage in New England, call (844) 326-4514.
Addiction Statistics in New England
- Pharmaceutical opioids contribute to 23% of overdose deaths in Maine, and a significant portion of individuals who succumb to illicit substances probably initiated their journey with pharmaceuticals, either with their prescriptions or those belonging to a friend or family member.15
- Drug abuse problems in New England states are consistently rated as some of the worst in the nation.16
- Among the New England states, New Hampshire has the lowest prevalence of children having private insurance and lacking mental health coverage for mental or emotional issues (2.0%). Following closely, Massachusetts secures the second spot at 3.6%, with Vermont in third at 4%. In contrast, the national average is 8.1%.17
- 7% of 70,000 New Hampshire adults did not receive needed mental health care due to cost.18
- Vermont takes the title as the state with the highest percentage of heavy drinkers, at 8.28%. Surprisingly, Vermont also boasts a relatively low ranking in DUI incidents, standing at #36. Maine secures the third position among the heaviest drinking states, with Massachusetts closely following in eighth place and New Hampshire in ninth. Rhode Island ranks 24th, while Connecticut holds the 32nd position in this assessment.19
- Research indicates that Vermont has the highest prevalence of underage binge drinking in the nation.20
- The New England states witnessed a sharp increase in fatalities related to synthetic opioids upon the emergence of illicit fentanyl between 2013 and 2015.21
- In Massachusetts, although recent statistics reveal a rise in opioid use and overdoses among women, there has been a significant and alarming decline in the number of women seeking addiction treatment.22
- “Milestones.” The Cigna Group, www.thecignagroup.com/about-us/milestones. Accessed 7 Nov. 2023.
- Cigna Healthcare. “The Cigna Group History.” Cigna, www.cigna.com/about-us/company-profile/milestones#1981-1997. Accessed 6 Nov. 2023.
- “Cigna Healthcare.” The Cigna Group, www.thecignagroup.com/our-capabilities/cigna-healthcare. Accessed 7 Nov. 2023.
- “Connecting for a Healthier Future: Connecting for a Healthier Future 2022 ENVIRONMENTAL , SOCIAL , AND GOVERNANCE REPORT.” The Cigna Group, 2022, www.thecignagroup.com/static/www-thecignagroup-com/docs/2022-esg-report.pdf.
- “Cigna Closes $67B Express Scripts Acquisition, Promising Affordability and Choice.” Fierce Healthcare, 20 Dec. 2018, www.fiercehealthcare.com/payer/cigna-closes-67b-express-scripts-acquisition.
- “EAP and Behavioral Health Benefits for Businesses.” Cigna, www.cigna.com/employers/behavioral/mental-health. Accessed 6 Nov. 2023.
- “Cigna Healthy Rewards.” Cigna, legacy.cigna.com/static/docs/thermofisher/healthy-rewards.pdf. Accessed 6 Nov. 2023.
- “Treatment for Substance Use Disorders.” Cigna, www.cigna.com/knowledge-center/treatment-for-substance-use-disorders. Accessed 6 Nov. 2023.
- “Virtual Care (Telehealth) Services.” Cigna Healthcare, www.cigna.com/individuals-families/member-guide/virtual-care-services. Accessed 7 Nov. 2023.
- U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. “Health Benefits and Coverage: Mental Health and Substance Abuse Health Coverage Options.” HealthCare.gov, www.healthcare.gov/coverage/mental-health-substance-abuse-coverage. Accessed 16 Sept. 2023.
- “Mental Health Insurance and Substance Use Benefits.” Cigna Healthcare, www.cigna.com/individuals-families/shop-plans/plans-through-employer/mental-health-insurance-and-substance-use-benefits. Accessed 7 Nov. 2023.
- Lauretta, Ashley. “How Much Does Therapy Cost in 2023?” Forbes Health, 14 Apr. 2023, www.forbes.com/health/mind/how-much-does-therapy-cost.
- Stilkind, Joseph. “Average Cost of Drug Rehab : By Type, State and More.” NCDAS, 1 Jan. 2023, drugabusestatistics.org/cost-of-rehab.
- “CIGNA STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES/MEDICAL NECESSITY CRITERIA: For Treatment of Mental Health Disorders.” Cigna Healthcare, Apr. 2020, legacy.cigna.com/static/www-cigna-com/docs/health-care-providers/medicalnecessitycriteria.pdf.
- “Justice Department’s Criminal Division Creates New England Prescription Opioid Strike Force to Focus on Illegal Opioid Prescriptions.” Office of Public Affairs U.S. Department of Justice, 29 June 2022, www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-s-criminal-division-creates-new-england-prescription-opioid-strike-force.
- “New England States Rank Among Worst for Drug Abuse Problems, Report Finds.” WCVB, 15 May 2017, www.wcvb.com/article/this-day-in-history-heaven-hill-bourbon-distillery-burns-fire/45757611.
- Weisman, Janine. “Report: New England States Fare Well in National Mental Health Rankings | New England Psychologist.” New England Psychologist | an Independent Voice for the Region’s Psychologists, 19 Apr. 2020, www.nepsy.com/articles/general/report-new-england-states-fare-well-in-national-mental-health-rankings.
- “Mental Health in New Hampshire.” National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), Feb. 2021, www.nami.org/NAMI/media/NAMI-Media/StateFactSheets/NewHampshireStateFactSheet.pdf.
- Fortier, Marc. “These 4 New England States Are Among the Heaviest Drinking in the US, Study Says.” NBC Boston, 21 Nov. 2019, www.nbcboston.com/news/local/these-new-england-states-are-among-the-heaviest-drinking-in-the-us/2006295.
- D’Ambrosio, Dan. “Vermont Leads the Nation in Underage Binge Drinking, According to Research.” Burlington Free Press, 5 Oct. 2023, www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2023/10/05/vermont-underage-binge-drinking-problem-addiction-treatment-magazine/70980064007.
- Rudd, Rose A., et al. “Increases in Drug and Opioid-Involved Overdose Deaths — United States, 2010–2015.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 65, no. 5051, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dec. 2016, pp. 1445–52. https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm655051e1.
- Becker, Deborah. “Fewer Women Are Seeking Addiction Treatment in Mass. As Use and Overdoses Increase | WBUR News.” WBUR.org, 27 Jan. 2022, www.wbur.org/news/2022/01/27/women-addiction-treatment-opioid-use-overdose.
Related Cigna Pages
- Cigna Drug and Alcohol Rehab Treatment Coverage
- Cigna Rehab in Massachusetts
- Cigna Rehab in New England
- Cigna Rehab in New Jersey
Related New England Pages
- Aetna New England Drug and Alcohol Rehab Coverage
- Blue Cross Blue Shield New England Drug and Alcohol Rehab Coverage
- Carelon New England Drug and Alcohol Rehab Treatment Coverage
- Cigna Rehab in New England
- Humana Drug and Alcohol Addiction Rehab Treatment Coverage in New England
- Optum Drug and Alcohol Addiction Rehab Treatment Cover in New England
- United Healthcare (UHC) New England Drug and Alcohol Rehab Coverage